Global Day of Action Against Nuclear Weapons: Santa Fe Plaza, Sunday, November 26th at 2 pm
You are invited to join the Global Day of Action Against Nuclear Weapons on Sunday, November 26th at 2 pm on the Santa Fe Plaza. Come with your friends, family and colleagues and call for an end to nuclear weapons by bringing attention to the United Nations Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, the TPNW. Sing anti-nuclear and anti-war lyrics to familiar tunes with the Raging Grannies of New Mexico. Bring signs, drums or tambourines. To show our solidarity with others around the world, we’ll take photos and make videos to share on the website of the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons, or ICAN, the initiator of the Global Day of Action. https://www.icanw.org/joniarends/global_day_of_action_of_against_nuclear_weapons_on_santa_fe_plaza
Sunday’s events are followed by other international actions to abolish nuclear weapons. On Monday, November 27th, the 69 States Parties to the United Nations Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons will begin meeting all week at the United Nations in New York City. This is the second time the parties to the Treaty will have convened since the Treaty became international law in January 2021. It is oddly fitting to hold the meetings on U.S. soil because the United States is not a party to the Treaty and refuses to comply with it. We need to encourage the United States to join with nearly half the nations of the world taking concrete steps to eliminate nuclear weapons. https://disarmament.unoda.org/wmd/nuclear/tpnw/
ICAN encourages everyone to be loud and proud that the TPNW has been in effect for nearly three years. Around the world, people will hold vigils and rallies calling for the elimination of nuclear weapons in solidarity with the delegations of the States Parties at the United Nations. https://www.icanw.org/events
Please join with the New Mexico Peace Fest, Veterans for Peace Albuquerque and Santa Fe Chapters, Concerned Citizens for Nuclear Safety, the Raging Grannies New Mexico, Taos Environmental Film Festival, Nuclear Watch New Mexico, Stop the War Machine, Party for Socialism and Liberation, Green Party ABQ Metro Area, Unity Spiritual Center, A.N.S.W.E.R., the New Mexico Peace Choir, Albuquerque Peace and Justice Center and people of faith at 2 pm on Sunday the 26th on the Santa Fe Plaza. Let’s amplify the international call for the abolition of nuclear weapons.
Check out the Artists Against the Bomb for visuals you can download and bring to the Sunday gathering. https://artistsagainstthebomb.org/ Check out Santa Fe artist Kaitlin Bryson’s piece there. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uVi04r3694lz9R5lnfDY6sngXhNidOhZ/view
To watch the proceedings on UN Web TV, go to https://webtv.un.org/en/schedule
For a quick 15 minute overview of what is happening at the United Nations twice a day, sign-up to watch MSP-TV at https://www.icanw.org/msp_tv At 9 am and 3 pm Mountain (11 am and 5 pm Eastern) ICAN’s MSP-TV will provide a summary, highlights and insights from the Nuclear Ban Week events from Monday 27 November until 1 December 2023.
Together we are making a difference!
- Friday, November 24th from noon to 1 pm MT *** NEW LOCATION DUE TO RECONSTRUCTION OF GUADALUPE BRIDGE. *** Join the weekly peaceful protest for nuclear disarmament on the corners of Alameda and Sandoval in downtown Santa Fe with Veterans for Peace, CCNS, Nuclear Watch NM, Loretto Community, Pax Christi, Nonviolent Santa Fe, and others.
- Monday, November 27th to Friday, December 1st – Second Meeting of States Parties (MSP) to the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (2MSP) at UN Headquarters in New York City. https://www.icanw.org/tpnw_second_meeting_of_states_parties and https://meetings.unoda.org/tpnw/tpnw-msp-2023 See this week’s Update for more details.
- Tuesday, November 28th from 11 am to 12:30 pm Mountain Time – hybrid presentation about the Humanitarian Impacts of Nuclear Weapons and Signs of Hope for a Nuclear Weapons-Free World at Baha’i International Center at UN Plaza and on zoom. Registration is required at: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZckceuqpjspHdxOSycn61Xb7QFAticgAlfC#/registration For more information and other events: https://www.genderandradiation.org/2023events
- Friday, December 15th – Holloman 5 Anti-Drone Trial begins in Otero County, NM. https://www.veteransforpeace.org/our-work/working-groups/drones-robots-and-future-weapons-working-group http://www.shutdowndronewarfare.org/ https://www.codepink.org/shutdowndrone
- Wednesday, January 17, 2024 –Public Comments due about Los Alamos National Laboratory Electrical Power Capacity Upgrade Project Draft Environmental Assessment (DOE/EA-2911) for construction and operation of a new 115 kilovolt (kV) power transmission line and upgrading LANL’s existing infrastructure. CCNS will be working on sample public comments for you to use soon. The Draft EA is available in the NNSA NEPA Reading Room at: https://www.energy.gov/nnsa/nnsa-nepa-reading-room or directly at https://energy.gov/nepa/doeea-2199-los-alamos-national-laboratory-electrical-power-capacity-upgrade-project
Tags: A.N.S.W.E.R., albuquerque peace and justice center, Artists Against the Bomb, Concerned Citizens for Nuclear Safety, Global Day of Action Against Nuclear Weapons, Green Party ABQ Metro Area, ICAN, International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons, Kaitlin Bryson, MSP-TV, New Mexico Peace Choir, New Mexico Peace Fest, November 26, Nuclear Ban Week, Nuclear Watch New Mexico, Party for Socialism and Liberation, people of faith, Raging Grannies of New Mexico, Santa Fe Plaza, Second Meeting of States Parties, Stop the War Machine, Taos Environmental Film Festival, TPNW, UN Web TV, United Nations, United Nations Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, Unity Spiritual Center, Veterans for Peace Albuquerque and Santa Fe Chapters