Trinity, Hiroshima & Nagasaki Commemoration Events in NM
Planning is ongoing to commemorate the 75 years since the U.S. atomic bombings at the Trinity Site in July 1945, and over Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945. Educational events to challenge the false narratives about the bombings will take place around New Mexico, along with proposed memorials in the New Mexico State Legislature. To see an event listing click here…f 2020 Events 1-1-20 CCNS will update the 2020 Event Listing at least once a month and provide it with the first Update of the month.
The opening event is the 11th Annual “Witness for the People” on Friday, January 31st at noon in the rotunda of the State Capitol in Santa Fe. Organizer, Interfaith Worker Justice – New Mexico, says the event is the People of Faith State of the State address. http://www.iwj.org/locations/new-mexico Confirmed speakers include Archbishop John C. Wester https://archdiosf.org/about-archbishop-wester ; Lieutenant Governor Howie Morales https://www.ltgov.state.nm.us/ ; Representative Angelica Rubio https://www.nmlegis.gov/Members/Legislator?SponCode=HRUBI ; Marian Naranjo, of Honor Our Pueblo Existence https://honorourpuebloexistence.com/ ; Tina Cordova, of the Tularosa Basin Downwinders Consortium, also known as the Trinity Downwinders https://www.trinitydownwinders.com/ ; and Ken Mayers of Veterans for Peace https://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/santa-fean-arrested-after-anti-war-protest-in-ireland-back/article_c3d72554-17ce-11ea-91db-cf4a2f755dfb.html . Paul and The Tone Daddies will provide music. http://paulpino.com/tone-daddies/ For more information, please contact The Reverend Holly Beaumont at email@example.com.
Representative Rubio pre-filed House Memorial 5, entitled “Individuals Exposed to Radiation Support,” which urges the New Mexico congressional delegation to pass proposed amendments to the federal Radiation Exposure Compensation Act that would include the Trinity Downwinders and the Post’71 Uranium Workers. After the Witness for the People event, participants will encourage their legislators to support House Memorial 5. https://www.nmlegis.gov/Legislation/Legislation?Chamber=H&LegType=M&LegNo=5&year=20
In August, three national conferences focused on commemorating the U.S. bombings will take place in New Mexico. The public is invited to attend one or more of the conferences. Please be sure to register beforehand.
The Veterans for Peace National Conference runs from August 5th through the 9th in Albuquerque. https://www.veteransforpeace.org/ The Upaya Zen Center begins its “Bearing Witness Memorial Sesshin: Marking the 75th Year Since the Nuclear Bombings” on August 5th through the 10th in Santa Fe. https://www.upaya.org/program/bearing-witness-sesshin-the-75th-anniversary-of-hiroshima-and-nagasaki/?id=2209 The Campaign Nonviolence National Conference runs from August 6th through the 9th in Albuquerque. https://paceebene.org/cnvconference2020
The public is invited to join with the conference attendees at the commemoration events in Los Alamos.
On Thursday, August 6th, the day the U.S. dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, the public and conference participants will gather at Ashley Pond from 4 pm to 8 pm. Beginning at 5 pm there will be a rally at the Main Stage with speakers, poets, and musicians.
On Sunday, August 9th, the day the U.S. dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki, the public and conference participants will gather at Ashley Pond from 11 am to 3 pm. From 1 to 3 pm there will be a rally at the Main Stage with speakers, poets, and musicians.
1. Your financial support makes a difference! Please help CCNS with an end-of-the-year tax-deductible contribution or a monthly sustaining donation. Mail your check to CCNS, P. O. Box 31147, Santa Fe, NM 87594-1147, or use our e-contribution form on the right side of our home page at http://nuclearactive.org/ We need your contribution to continue keeping you informed through our weekly broadcast and social media network. There’s a lot of work to be done in 2020 – and many proposals to expand operations are already on the table. Stay informed with the CCNS Media Network! Many thanks!
2. Thursday, January 9th – The New Mexico Environment Department (NMED) will host a public engagement meeting to discuss the 2016 Consent Order
for Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), which is between the Department of Energy and NMED. The meeting will be from 5:30 to 7 pm at the University of NM – Los Alamos, 4000 University Drive, Bldg. 6, Room 631, Los Alamos, NM. See the NMED news release in English and Spanish at https://www.env.nm.gov/
If you need interpretation or assistance at the meeting, please contact Neelam Dhawan, of the NMED Hazardous Waste Bureau, at (505) 476-6042 or via email at Neelam.Dhawan@state.nm.us.
3. Wednesday, January 15th -The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will host a public meeting (beginning at 5 pm) and hearing (beginning at 7 pm) about the
LANL Industrial Wastewater Discharge Permit renewal at the Pojoaque Valley Sixth Grade Academy, 1574 State Road 502 West. https://www.epa.gov/nm/lanl-industrial-wastewater-permit-draft-permit-no-nm0028355-0
4. Thursday, January 16th – The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will host a public meeting (beginning at 5 pm) and hearing (beginning at 7 pm) about the LANL Individual Stormwater Permit renewal at the Pojoaque Valley Sixth Grade Academy, 1574 State Road 502 West. https://www.epa.gov/nm/lanl-storm-water-individual-permit-draft-permit-no-nm0030759
5. Thursday, January 23rd and January 30th – The Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) will hold public meetings about its yet-to-be-submitted application for renewal of the ten-year hazardous waste permit to the New Mexico Environment Department (NMED).
IN SANTA FE: January 23rd from 5 to 7 pm at the Santa Fe Hilton, 100 Sandoval Street, Santa Fe
IN CARLSBAD: January 30th from 5 to 7 pm at the Skeen-Whitlock Building, 4021 National Park Highway, Carlsbad
For more information and to view the draft hazardous waste facility permit, go to https://wipp.energy.gov/rcra-proposed-mods.asp
Tags: "Individuals Exposed to Radiation Support, 11th Annual "Witness for the People, Archbishop John C. Wester, Bearing Witness Memorial Sesshin: Marking the 75th Year Since the Nuclear Bombings, Campaign Nonviolence National Conference, Commemoration Events, false narratives, Hiroshima, Honor Our Pueblo Existence, House Memorial 5, Interfaith Worker Justice - New Mexico, Ken Mayers, Los Alamos, Lt. Gov. Howie Morales, Marian Naranjo, Nagasaki, Paul and The Tone Daddies, People of Faith State of the State, Post'71 uranium workers, Radiation Exposure Compensation Act, Rep. Angelica Rubio, The Reverend Holly Beaumont, Tina Cordova, Trinity, trinity downwinders, Tularosa Basin Downwinders Consortium, Upaya Zen Center, Veterans for Peace, Veterans for Peace National Conference
No comments so far.